I LOVE the big windows in our living and dining room and morning time, when the sun comes pouring in is my very favorite. Our windows face east and the sun shines directly through them, making everything sparkle and shine. What I don’t love… is seeing dirt and smudge when that delicious sun is shining!
We also have glass lanterns above our kitchen island and one large lantern above our dining room table. In the evenings, when the lights are on, all the smudge on the glass illuminates and it makes me insane!
Both our lanterns and the windows aren’t easy to clean. The lanterns, especially, being in the kitchen can be super tricky. Believe me when I say I’ve tried every cleaner on the planet (even the super toxic ones) and NOTHING beats my DIY glass cleaner.
A good glass cleaner needs 4 things:
- some kind of cleaning concentrate to, well, clean!
- Something to cut the grease
- Something to make them shine.
And so, this cleaner is made up of
- on guard cleaning concentrate
- lemon oil to cut the grease and baked on grime (nothing beats lemon oil!)
- Alcohol to make them shine!
For years I’ve used vinegar, but I’ve found that pure alcohol works SO much better. I’ll use pure (cheap!) vodka, or rubbing alcohol if need be.
Recipe is as follows (use a 32 oz spray bottle):
- 1 capful of on guard cleaning concentrate
- 10-20 drops of lemon oil
- 1 1/2 cups of vodka or rubbing alcohol
- fill the rest with (distilled!) water
That’s it! Happy cleaning!